I make a variation of this dish at least twice a month. It is insanely delicious, versatile, and satisfying. My non-vegan friends are always amazed that there is no cheese or butter, yet it's still SO CREAMY!
Loaded with healthy fats and protein from cashews, Nutritional Yeast packs in the B Vitamins, plus onions and garlic bring prebiotic power and fiber. You can also get creative with mix-ins and toppings! I'll give you ideas as we go!
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 Cup Raw Cashews
1 White or Sweet Onion, diced
5 Cloves Garlic
3 TBSP Olive Oil
Pasta of choice
2 + TBSP Nutritional Yeast (I like Braggs)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Optional- Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Artichokes, Sun-dried tomatoes, Mushrooms (I like Shiitake and Maitake best)
1. Place Raw Cashews in a small bowl and cover with hot water and 1 tsp veggie bouillon. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Or use cold water and let sit overnight/during the day while at work.
2. Heat Olive Oil in pan, add diced onion, let cook 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until onions are translucent. (You can add Spinach now to make a green sauce!)
3. Cook pasta. I like using gluten free rice pasta but you can use wheat or spiralized veggie noodles.
4. Pour Cashew/water mixure (don't strain) and sauteed onions to a blender. Blend until smooth.
5. Add strained pasta and blended sauce to pan. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast, allow sauce to thicken.
6. Toss in any extra veggies now! I typically saute or roast them on the side while cooking.